Scalable additive/subtractive manufacturing system
- September 12, 2018
The DMP Factory 500 was designed to simplify workflows for the building of seamless metal parts up to 500 x 500 x 500 mm (196.8 x 196.8 x 196.8 in) with lower total cost of operation.
GF says the DMP Factory 500 is optimized for scalability, repeatable high quality parts, high throughput and low total cost of operation. The combined global distribution network of the two companies enhances access to application experts who can help customers optimize manufacturing environments and maximize uptime.
The DMP Factory 500 is comprised of five function specific modules:
• Printer Module (PTM): designed for 24/7 production cycles enabling maximum printer uptime and output.
• Removable Print Module (RPM): sealed module for powder and part transport between printer, powder, and transport modules featuring a vacuum chamber to ensure the lowest O2 content, enabling high quality 3D printed metal parts. Powder waste is eliminated, as the vacuum chamber guarantees consistent high material quality, sufficient to be reused to depletion.
• Powder Management Module (PMM): de-powders parts on build platforms, automatically recycles unused powder materials, and prepares the RPM for the next build.
• Transport Module (TRM): enables efficient movement of the RPMs between printer and powder modules, reducing production time.
• Parking Module (PAM): provides interim storage of RPMs in an inert environment until ready for further progression in the workflow (e.g., stores a fully prepared RPM for its next print job while the PTM is finishing the previous print job).
The modular design of the DMP Factory 500 enables continuous function of all metal 3D printing and powder management modules. The ability for a manufacturer to create a custom solution – matching the number and type of modules required for their production workflow – helps maximize investment, while the integrated automation minimizes manual processes. In addition, the DMP Factory 500 system includes data connectivity with all major ERP systems to facilitate supply chain optimization.
The additive manufacturing platform is integrated with GF Machining Solutions’ System 3R referencing and clamping system. Zero point clamping enables optimal positioning of the build plate, facilitating a quick transition from the 3D printer to post processing steps. This integrated feature reduces setup times and provides enhanced flexibility by quickly transitioning the build plate from the additive process and sending it downstream for post processing.