Multi-axis laser processing system
- November 9, 2019
Prima Power Laserdyne has introduced the Laserdyne 890 system.
The new system has a fiber laser, the newest BeamDirector technology and the S94P control, which carries a full portfolio of Smart Techniques operating capabilities.
With these enhancements plus a 2440 x 1830 x 400 mm (96 x 72 x 36 in.) work envelope for the X, Y, and Z axes – along with the latest BeamDirector and a complete flexible five axis work envelope – the Laserdyne 890 is designed for large part welding, drilling and cutting processes. Its gantry design configuration has proven useful in fixturing large and complex parts, allowing for faster and more efficient high-value part set-up and laser processing.
The fiber lasers provide consistent pulse power and energy stability. The QCW fiber laser delivers maximum peak power equal to 10 times that of average power. The S94P controller delivers precise, controlled pulses. The fiber lasers provide significant cost savings over CO2 and Nd:YAG lasers, i.e., migrating to a fiber laser source eliminates the need for helium gas requirement and lowers the operating cost.
The Laserdyne 890 includes the latest generation of the BeamDirector, which provides rotary and tilt (fourth and fifth) axes of laser beam motion. Rotary (C axis) motion is 900 degrees about the vertical axis while tilt (D axis) travel is ±150 degrees about the horizontal axis.
The Laserdyne BeamDirector features direct drive design, optical encoders for high accuracy (+/- 15 arc-second) and repeatable, high assist gas pressure and flow, and adjustable mirrors for easy and accurate beam alignment. The high capacity direct drive design eliminates gears and belts for higher accuracy, allowing greater travel and reach over zero offset style wrists.
The Laserdyne S94P control includes smart solutions for welding, drilling and cutting of clean accurately produced parts in a broad range of standard or specialty materials including the latest high temperature and exotic metals. The S94P control includes the following capabilities and many more:
- Automatic Focus Control for capacitive part sensing (uncoated metals) creating unlimited “R” axis correction with speed and sensitivity.
- Optical Focus Control (OFC2) (Patented) for sensing and mapping of thermal barrier (ceramic) coated surfaces.
- CylPerf and ShapeSoft graphical programming utilities for producing patterns of cylindrical and shaped holes.
- PresSure for control of assist gas pressure from within a laser processing program.
- Adaptive hole size control, the single best method of producing the highest quality laser drilled holes, ensures hole size and critical flow requirements with minimal operator involvement.
- SPC Data Acquisition monitors and records key processing data used to create each part and records the data in a permanent record.
- MTConnect provides real-time streaming of the process parameters in support of IIoT add Industry 4.0
The Laserdyne 890 also incorporates an expanding suite of proprietary capabilities, called “SmartTechniques” that are standard features of its S94P control. They include:
- SmartShield – provides protection against excessive oxidation in the weld area while also protecting the beam delivery optics with regular, clean shop compressed air.
- SmartPierce – minimizes spatter and reduces time for piercing in cutting and drilling processes.
- SmartRamp – eliminates the depression at the end of laser welds.
The Laserdyne 890 incorporates a rigid base with heavy-duty steel weldment construction and robust motion system with precision machined surfaces, and reliable motion system.
Prima Power Laserdyne says Laserdyne 890 provides the newest and widest range of laser processing capabilities for complex part laser processing requirements.