In addition to its forum and open house, MMRI is also celebrating the opening of its new 21,000 sq ft facility. Shown here is Ontario minister Vic Fedelli, Ontario Minister of Economic Development, on a prior visit to MMRI. PHOTO courtesy McMaster University and Matthew Clarke.
The McMaster Manufacturing Research Institute’s (MMRI) and the university’s Faculty of Engineering will be holding their 8th annual Industry Open House and Manufacturing Forum on May 11.
The keynote speaker this year is Dr. Tony Schmitz from the University of Tennessee. He will be presenting on applying machine learning, a core AI technology, to improve machining operations.
In addition to the forum and open house, the MMRI will be celebrating its new 21,000 sq ft facility at McMaster Innovation Park, which it recently opened after finishing construction.
“This is an excellent opportunity to see our new facilities and learn about emerging trends in manufacturing,” MMRI says.
The open house will feature dynamic displays of current research involving graduate and undergraduate students as well as research staff and faculty.
This event will offer the opportunity to connect with university researchers and industry partners as well as tour many of the research locations.
8:00-8:30 Registration and light breakfast
8:30-9:15 Official Opening of the new site
9:15-10:00 Networking coffee break
10:00-12:00 Manufacturing Forum – MC – Dennis Darby, CEO of Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters
10:00-11:00 Keynote – Tony Schmitz, Professor, University of Tennessee, Knoxville (Oak Ridge National Laboratory)
11:00-12:00 Panel to discuss topics raised in the keynote
- Moderator – Maryam Aramesh
- 5G mmWave Private Network – David Wale, Director, Terago
- Machining, Automation and AI – Alexander Berger, President & CEO, A. Berger Precision Ltd
- Robotics – Kevork Sevadjian, CEO and Co-Founder, Gastronomous
- AI – Maryam Emami, CEO, AI Materia Inc
- Training and Upskilling – Medora Uppal, CEO, YWCA Hamilto
12:00-1:00 Networking Lunch
1:00-4:00 Industry Open House
- McMaster Innovation Park (Machining Systems Lab, Additive Manufacturing Group, Automotive Resource Centre, Centre for Automotive Materials, and Corrosion)
- SR&ED Tax Credit and Innovation Funding Discussion – Christine Ermarkaryan
- Guided Tour of the Nuclear Reactor (limited spots available, requires government issued ID)*
- Guided Tour of the Canadian Centre for Electron Microscopy*
- Guided Tour of the Centre for Advanced Light Microscopy*
3:00-3:30 Nuclear Focused Discussion
4:00 Wind down at McMaster Innovation Park Biergarten