Despite severe new lockdown rules for Ontario announced January 12, the manufacturing industry will be allowed to continue operating, a decision applauded by Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters (CME).
CME says the announcement will allow Ontario’s 40,000 manufacturers and their 750,000 employees continue to safely work and produce goods for domestic and international markets while the province works to expand rapid testing availability for the sector.
“The manufacturing sector has worked aggressively to introduce protocols and provide a safe work environment for their workers throughout this pandemic, while producing goods essential for the response and recovery. The announcement today by Premier Ford that the sector could continue to operate through the pandemic while maintaining these standards is welcomed by manufacturers across the province, and we applaud this decision,” said Dennis Darby, President & CEO of CME.
“As a next step, we very pleased to see the announcement of expanded rapid testing for the sector and we look forward to partnering with the province to ensure that all manufacturers can test their employees as needed,” added Darby.
This announcement is a full recognition of the important role that the sector plays economically in the province, the essential nature of the sector in suppling goods and services to Ontarians, and the highly globalized, competitive and integrated environment that manufacturers operate within. Manufacturing represents 12.3 per cent of Ontario’s GDP and 79 per cent of the province’s exports.
“CME will continue to work closely with government to ensure that our manufacturing sector continues to operate in accordance with highest safety standards. The sector is expected to be at the forefront of the province’s economic recovery and provides many essential goods to the people of Ontario who are eager to buy local products, as we’ve seen with our very successful Ontario Made program launched last year. To buy local, we need to produce local,” said Darby.