The federal government plans to make a decision on safeguards against steel dumping in the coming weeks, Economic Development Minister Navdeep Bains said Friday.
Speaking at a summit on the steel industry in Hamilton, Ont., Bains said the government is looking at the data and feedback it received from recent consultations on how to protect the industry from the risk of cheap steel imports.
“The Department of Finance, my colleague Bill Morneau, is working swiftly to assess what they heard in the consultations to determine how best to protect the Canadian market against foreign steel dumping,” he said.
“The government is well aware that more than ever, Canada is likely a landing ground for cheap, subsidized steel from foreign producers.”
Canada is at a heightened risk of dumping after the US imposed tariffs on steel and aluminum imports earlier this year, leading exporters to seek out other potential markets.
The US also later went ahead with tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum imports on national security grounds.
Bains said the federal government has responded to the tariffs with $16.6 billion in counter tariffs in July as well as a $2 billion financial aid package for affected industries.
The aid package includes $250 million for a strategic innovation fund exclusively for large steel and aluminum producers that Bains said has already received strong interest.