ANCA’s Tool of the Year competition is back for 2021, with applications open to tool designers around the world to show off their skills for a chance to win thousands of dollars’ worth of software and technology from the Australian CNC machine builder.
Winners of this year’s competition will be announced live at the EMO, Milano trade fair on Oct. 4, to 9, 2021.
“Our industry thrives thanks to grinders’ expertise. Much of what people use and enjoy in everyday life is due to the hard work and ever increasing technical acumen of these cutting tool makers and, as a result, we are seeing the complexity of cutting tools increase, improving productivity, tool life and functionality,” says Patrick Boland, co-founder of ANCA
Last year 30 contestants showed off their skills, with entries received from across the world being seen by over 80,000 fans generating over 200,000 engagements on social media.
“Now in its fourth year, ANCA Tool of the Year has gained significant coverage – raising the profile of cutting tools and those companies who make them. I encourage all cutting tool makers to enter our competition and be recognized on a global stage for your craftmanship and contributions to our industry,” Boland added.
There will be two competition categories to recognize both the functionality and creativity of cutting tool manufacturers:
- The main prize goes to #MadeonANCA tools and entrants will be judged on the form and performance of their cutting tool.
- The second category is for virtual tools as the “Most innovative tool design – 2021.”
Entrants are encouraged to be creative and use ANCA tool design software to push ideas to their limits.
The main prize winner receives AUD $10,000 (CAN$9,313) worth of ANCA innovations for parts, accessories or software that fit your grinding needs. The winner of the most innovative virtual tool will receive the full CIM software package.
Submissions are open from 15th June – 15th August.
The competition will be based on the passion and the craft of tool making and celebrate the highly skilled tool grinding community.
- Pat Boland, Co-Founder and Managing Director at ANCA
- Ivan Cuscov, Plant Director at Cerin SpA, Italy
- Thomson Mathew, Product Manager at ANCA
- Zoller – measure profile and diameter
The top five finalist tools will be judged on the following criteria:
- Best surface finish in Ra (roughness average) value on the flute or gash surface
- The tool the that is closest to the nominal tolerance as stated on the drawing in terms of diameter and profile (i.e., if the tolerance on diameter is +/- 0.010mm and the tool is measured to 0.005 then this will rank favourably)
- Tool that has been ground to the tightest tolerance as per the drawing (i.e., the tool with the lowest tolerance will rank favourably)
- Level of complexity (i.e., in terms of the number of steps, profiles will rank favourably)
To learn more about the competition and begin the submission process, visit this link: https://machines.anca.com/Tool-Of-The-Year/2021