TRUMPF is in talks to fully acquire its additive joint ventureClick image to enlargeTRUMPF is in advanced talks to fully acquire its TRUMPF SISMA S.R.L. additive manufacturing joint venture from partner SISMA S.p.A.

Currently, TRUMPF owns 55 per cent of the joint venture, with SISMA owning the remaining 45 per cent.

After this divestment, SISMA plans to focus on the jewelry and fashion industry while TRUMPF intends to continue SISMA’s additive manufacturing business activities in the industrial, dental and medical sectors.

TRUMPF SISMA was founded as a joint venture in 2014 and is based in Schio in northern Italy. Around 60 employees work in the development and production of metal 3D printing machines with Laser Metal Fusion technology.

The transaction is expected to be completed by the end of the first quarter of 2021.

Getting an educational edge on machining

Local manufacturers had the opportunity to learn about the latest machining innovations at a joint supplier event held at machine tool distributor Ferro Technique's Mississauga, ON, facility.

Inspection techniques

As anyone in the fabricating and welding business knows, process and part inspection is a critical component of a successful business. Build and weld a poor part will simply guarantee failure.

Configurable pipe cutting

ESAB Welding and Cutting Products’ SmartPipe system for automated plasma or oxy-fuel pipe cutting of pipe that works in conjunction with you table for cutting flat plate.

Skills training: Assess before you train

by Tim Wilson

There’s a lot of talk these days about the need for Canada to educate more skilled tradespeople, and the role that individual businesses can play. The criticism is often that business doesn’t invest enough, but part of the problem is that they don’t know how to proceed. Assessment, after all, is crucial, yet metalworking shops have varying degrees of competency.

High-Speed Machining is Dead

by Kip Hanson

Looking for a high-speed machining centre? You won’t have to look far. That’s because, in today’s world, practically all of them qualify as “high speed,” at least by yesterday’s standards. And best of all, they’re only getting faster.

CWB Group promotes the welding trade through education, Welding Industry Day

Education and welding trades promotion is a crucial, ongoing part of the CWB Group's mandate and last December, CWB held two events to help support the growth of the welding indusstry in Canada.

Quebec company to develop device for Elon Musk's SpaceX

The co-founder of a small Quebec company says he's excited about being asked by Elon Musk's SpaceX to design and develop creeper seats to help workers inspect the California-based aerospace manufacturer's Falcon 9 rockets.

CenterLine named one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies

CenterLine Limited of Windsor, ON has maintained its status as a Gold Standard Requalified winner and has been recognized for overall business performance and sustained growth with the prestigious Canada’s Best Managed Companies award.

Industry falling short on adopting technology to drive sustainability

Today’s industrial leaders recognize the important relationship between digitalization and sustainability, but most are falling short of adopting the technologies required to get there, according to a new study released by ABB.

Machining group to launch skills training centre

The Canadian Tooling and Machining Association (CTMA) has announced the creation of a new training and development centre to address the skilled trades shortage.

Aerospace manufacturing: A New Era

by Andrew Brooks

Manufacturing innovation spurs aerospace growth

New contest promotes manufacturing productivity

Shop Metalworking Technology Magazine teams up with industry partners for The Innovation Challenge contest

Thomas Skinner celebrates 30th anniversary

Thomas Skinner's Edmonton location hosted an open house on October 4 to celebrate its 30th anniversary and showcase its new showroom and training facility. 

Walter appoints new regional president

Walter has announced the appointment of Richard Garrick as president Sales Region World West.

Tim Caron joins EMEC Machine Tools

Tim Caron has joined EMEC Machine Tools as area sales manager for Windsor, ON, and the surrounding area.

Stay In Touch

twitter facebook linkedIn