photo by pexels uhgo Click image to enlarge

The federal government's planned  enforcement of its vaccine mandate for all truck drivers crossing the international border will likely further aggravate chaotic transit times for job shops waiting on equipment and parts deliveries from the U.S..

The mandate, effective as of January 15, could lead to 10 per cent of Canadian truck drivers leaving the industry rather than getting vaccinated, the nation’s trucking associations claim. But that only tells part of the driver shortage story that is slowing down Canada’s supply chains.

The latest data from Trucking HR Canada and Statistics Canada shows that trucking’s jobs vacancy rate had already hit new record highs even before the federal government announced its January 15th deadline,for a border vaccine mandate.

The vacancy rate in truck transportation hit 8 percent in the third quarter of 2021, which was the second highest vacancy rate in the entire economy behind accommodations and food services.

The total number of vacancies for transport truck drivers has now increased to 22,990 jobs, which is an historic high since Statistics Canada began tracking vacancies. This also represents a 20-percent surge in driver vacancies over the second quarter of 2021.

On a regional basis, Ontario accounts for 6,080 positions or 26.4% of all truckdriver vacancies in Canada followed by British Columbia with 4,280 vacancies and Alberta with 3,925.

CME onboard with Ontario’s commitment to establish a manufacturing strategy

Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters (CME) is backing the Ontario government’s plan to create an Advanced Manufacturing Strategy as announced in yesterday’s provincial budget.

Linamar acquiring full interest in joint venture casting facility

Linamar Corporation has reached a deal with GF Casting Solutions (GF) to acquire their 50% interest in their joint venture, GF Linamar LLC, located in Mills River, North Carolina. 

Additive manufacturing for large parts

Cincinnati Inc. and a US laboratory have signed a partnership agreement to develop a large scale additive manufacturing system capable of printing polymer components up to ten times larger than currently producible, at speeds 200 to 500 times faster than existing additive machines.

$480 M Siemens software grant to McMaster University

Students enrolled in design and manufacturing programs at McMaster University in Hamilton, ON, now have the ability to use the same technology that businesses around the world use thanks to a $458 million software grant from Siemens Canada.

CME report urges creation of a net zero industrial strategy

Canadian manufacturing wants to transition to a net-zero future but it’s going to require more government partnerships and investments and real strategy to get there, according to the Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters (CME).

Ontario boosts investments in automotive modernization

There is more encouraging news for Ontario job shops looking to improve their abilities in serving the province’s automotive sector.

BLM Group USA names Mark Dilling director of service

BLM Group USA has announced the appointment of Mark Dilling as director of service, responsible for the US and Canada.

Siemens to replace VIA Rail’s Québec-Windsor Corridor train fleet

Siemens Mobility has been awarded a $989 million contract to replace the VIA Rail Canada fleet that operates in the 2200-km Quebec City-Windsor Corridor.

CenterLine Best Managed Company-again

CenterLine (Windsor) Ltd., has achieved the Gold Standad winner status of the Best Managed Companies program. It retained its status after becoming the winner in 2013.

Mitutoyo, API partner for metrology distribution

API and Mitutoyo Corp. are partnering to distribute API’s portable dimensional metrology equipment through Mitutoyo’s global network.

John Dewar new sales manager at Mitutoyo

John Dewar has been named sales manager, effective April 2013 for Mitutoyo Canada Inc., Mississauga, ON.

Leandro Pereira new service manager for Bystronic Canada

Leandro Pereira has joined Bystronic Canada as the new service manager.

North America is the cause of supply chain disruption: K+N report

Roughly 80 per cent of the supply chain disruption impacting global trade and frustrating metal manufacturers across Canada stems from congestion issues associated with North American ports, according to a new report from global freight forwarder Kuehne + Nagel.

Bystronic acquires Antil

Bystronic has announced it is increasing its existing 70 percent stake in automation specialist Antil S.p.A. and acquiring the remaining 30 percent minority stake.

Business groups call on Ottawa to prevent labour disruption at CP Rail

Canadian businesses are calling on the federal government to prevent a Canadian Pacific Railway work stoppage.

Stay In Touch

twitter facebook linkedIn