CWB extends welding certificates amid lockdown
- June 7, 2020
In March, CWB Certification granted a three-month extension to all stated expiry dates on the welder, welding inspector and welding electrode qualifications/certifications.
Due to the continued uncertainty of the duration and impact of the COVID-19 situation, CWB Certification has further modified these extensions with the following terms:
- Welder qualifications (tickets) will be considered valid for six months beyond the stated expiry date. During this period, the certification holder will still be considered qualified for the process/position noted on the qualification
- The three-month grace period following the originally stated expiry date of the welder qualification for the individual to conduct check testing will be increased to six months
- In the case of check testing, qualifications will continue to be extended for two years from the original expiry date following successful testing
- Welding inspector qualifications under CSA W178.2 will be considered valid for a period of six months beyond the stated expiry date
- Welding inspectors seeking renewal/recertification of their certification will have an additional six months to meet the requirements
- Welding inspectors who applied for certification prior to March 25, 2020, will have an additional six months to meet all requirements
- Certified welding consumables will be considered valid for six months beyond the stated expiry date
- Qualified studs will be considered valid for six months beyond the stated expiry date
CWB says the extensions are valid until September 30th, 2020. Following this date, the stated expiry dates on all qualification/certification documents will again be in effect.
“These temporary allowances have been put in place during the current COVID-19 situation to accommodate individuals/products whose qualifications/certifications expire during this time,” CWB said on a statement, adding that it may again extend these allowances should the COVID-19 situation continue beyond the currect extension.