Mazak Corporation Canada held its three-day Open House this week at its Canada Technology Centre in Cambridge, Ont.
The event, which attracted customers from a wide area, showcased the latest machines and automation from Mazak as well as providing insights on Industry 4.0 for process monitoring and how Mazak’s SMOOTH technology helps improve part programming, shorten setup times and boost overall machining performance and part quality.
It was the first open house Mazak had been able to host in Ontario since the start of the pandemic and general manager David Andrews said there was a clear consensus on what customers coming in had top of mind.
“They’re thinking about automation because they can’t find people. That seems to be a common trend,” Andrews said. “We’ve got some great automation solutions, such as the articulated robot on our vertical-axis C600 machining centre. There has been a lot of interest in that type of setup, whether that can be sold as part of a new machine or retrofitted onto an existing Mazak machine. And then there is lots of interest on the multi pallet pool connected to our HCN 5000 horizontal machining centre. It’s another option for automation where you can set up 10 specific workstations and have them all preloaded with the tools and ready to go so that machine can run continuously for an extended period of time without operator intervention.
Technology showcased included:
- HQR-200MSY Multi-Tasking Machine for high-volume production, shown cutting aluminum trophies
- VARIAXIS C-600 5-axis Vertical Machining Center and RoboJob Mill Assist automation, shown processing a steel mold core
- INTEGREX j-200S Multi-Tasking Machine with second turning spindle, shown producing steel bottle openers
- QT-Ez 12MY Turning Center cutting a steel mold core and showcases milling and Y-axis capability
- VC-Ez 20 Vertical Machining Center performing heavy roughing on a steel component
- HCN-5000 Horizontal Machining Center operating within Multi-Pallet Pool (MPP) automation
The Open House also included presentations on Smooth Cam AI; Smooth Monitor AX and the Mazatrol SmoothEZ CNC